Smart Speaker shipment expected to cross record 750,000 units by end of 2020. Amazon Echo drives the market, Xiaomi makes an impressive entry
Among Smart Connected Devices, Smart Speaker ranks 2nd in the wish list of Indian consumers
Gurugram – Monday November 16, 2020: Announcing its 1st edition of India Smart Speaker Market Scan report, techARC today said that the unit shipments of the device are expected to cross 750,000 units by the end of year 2020, which is an all time high. The market is primarily led by Amazon Echo Smart Speakers which has 95.9% cumulative market share for the period Jan-Sep 2020. Xiaomi has made an impressive debut in the quarter of Jul-Sep 2020, with 7.1% market share by unit shipments. The third player in the market Google has a cumulative market share of 1.2% for 2020 till Sep.
Faisal Kawoosa, Founder & Chief Analyst, techARC while releasing the report said, “As Indian homes go more for smart technologies, voice-controlled device like a Smart Speaker has an increasingly important role to play. The users understand this and are investing in the device which offers a blend of utility as well as fun use cases.”
“Amazon has nurtured the ecosystem well by encouraging a wide choice of apps (skills) to be developed giving users a lot of engaging content for using the device which has made Echo devices very popular,” added Faisal.
- Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation is the most sold Smart Speaker. In JAS’20 quarter, over 53% of the Smart Speakers shipped were Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation, while for the cumulative period of Jan-Sep’20 the model share stood at 70.4%.
- The Average Selling Price (ASP) of a Smart Speaker for the period Jan-Sep’20 was Rs 5,560 which is expected to go high as the proportion of display enabled devices increases in the overall shipments. For the quarter JAS’20 the ASP was Rs 6,100.
- The trend of buying Smart Speakers with display is on the rise. In the quarter JAS’20, shipments of Smart Speakers with Display rose by 87% compared to previous quarter. The cumulative share of display enabled speakers for Jan-Sep’20 was 6.4%, with the JAS’20 quarter percentage recording highest at 9.7%. This opens new opportunities for Smart Speaker content makers as they can enable more immersive content opening new use cases for the device.
- Among the display enabled Smart Speakers, 65.9% (2 out of every 3) are with 8-inch screen size. This makes Amazon Echo Show 8 the most popular display enabled Smart Speaker.
- While Xiaomi makes an impressive entry in JAS’20 quarter and captures over 7% of the market share for the period, it is emerging as an alternative choice in the low end product offerings that compare to Amazon’s Echo Dot. In the display enabled Smart Speakers, there is still scope for more players to foray particularly when the trend is catching up.
About the Report: The India Smart Speaker Market Scan Report captures market and technology trends of Smart Speakers on a quarterly basis. The report measures market size, market shares of the players, pricing trends, technology trends and other insights essential for having a deep understanding of the market to formulate strategic and operational plans to achieve the desired goals and objectives, and stand out the competition.
About techARC: techARC – Technology Analytics, Research & Consulting is a new age technology market research firm offering insights and information services to decision makers offering them a neutral and unbaised perspective about the market, product or service.
The focus areas of techARC include connected consumer devices services and applications; security of mobile and IoT devices and applications; digital marketing and commerce; and electronics manufacturing. techARC offers subscription based services as well as executes ad-hoc research projects in these domains.
The research firm offers its services to large Tier 1 enterprises, SMEs, start-ups as well as leading advocacy / trade bodies.
techARC is a corporate member of ESOMAR (European Society for Opinion & Market Research). Presently, it is the only technology market research and analytics firm in India which is an ESOMAR member.
For any research and business queries, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Media queries can be sent to email@example.com.